Thursday, April 21, 2011

Hot Cross Buns on Good Friday with Salada tea and someone you love


http://www.joyofbaking.com/breakfast/HotCrossBuns.html
Today is Maundy Thursday the saddest day of the year for Christians who worship.
Tomorrow is Good friday. Good Fridy is a lovely memory day for me as my Canadian Grandma who was wonderful would always make hot cross buns to serve with sharp cheddar cheese and tea. She was always very careful to make the cross and not an X. Everytime I see a hot cross bun, I think of her. I only like them when they have currants and candied fruit in them. Then they remind me of her.
I have her recipe but it is so abbrevaiated, I don't think I would do it justice here so instead I found a recipe that is similar and looks the same. I am going to visit my 85 year old Aunt tomorrow who is having troubles to take her some hot cross buns (Grandma was her sister in law) and some chocolate biscotti. A little sugar and a memory of Grandma on Good Friday is sure to make her smile.

8 comments:

YankeeQuilter said...

We used to to go into the Boston's North End markets on Good Friday and get all the Easter shopping done. A short stop at ST. Anthony's church and then lunch at a pizzaria. The hardest thing was knowing you were holding a box of eggs from your favorite bakery but you would get one until Sunday morning...

Sandi said...

Happy Easter Mary Lou,

I always remember dressing up and going to church at Easter with my parents and brother in all our finery.

Sorry to say I'm not a fan of hot cross buns, enjoy some for me!

Sandi

Donna Avila said...

My Dad bought hot cross buns home to breakfast every Friday during lent. I loved them. My children did not care for the taste of the candied fruit so I did not carry on the tradition. I probably should have carried on the tradition anyway....oh well! Happy Easter Mary Lou.

Carol said...

Yum, hot cross buns! I love them too. Just the smell of them baking makes me so nostalgic for Good Friday and Easter break with my grandmother in her cozy home in San Pedro. She also made them with currants and candied fruits. She was such an amazing cook! Prime rib for Christmas, leg of lamb on Easter and her standard Sunday supper was roast chicken. She had a lemon tree and used them to make the best lemon meringue pie. . . And picnics at the beach were also a wonderful treat.

Maree in NC :-) said...

What lovely memories y'all have shared! I've never had a hot cross bun, but they do look delicious. Hope everyone has a blessed and very happy Easter! :~D

Miss Tina said...

I know Hot Cross Buns are for Good Friday, but I was not home, so I think I will make them for Easter Morning...they look wonderfully yummy!

Carol said...

I'd never heard of Salada Tea - tried to buy some at the store yesterday. Couldn't find it at my favorite Raley's, and the clerk hadn't heard of it, so I came home convinced I had written the name wrong. Today I started a search online. . . and found this:
http://www.greentea.com/saladahistory.aspx

Turns out that Raley's does carry it, so I'll keep asking.

Love my Yogi Black Chai Tea, and the sayings on the tags.

Salada Tea has been sharing sayings on their tea bag tags for over 70 years!

Mary Lou Weidman said...

Salada Tea was what my Canadian Grandmother served in her home and it has always been a favorite of my husband and I. When we go to Canada, we buy flour, brown sugar, salada tea and canadian mints....I am out of three of those things and it is time to go North again