Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Golden Rule...........


I have been thinking alot lately about the Golden Rule. Now I wonder if they even teach that anymore. I bet kids today have NO idea what the Golden Rule is and I think most adults honestly have forgotten it.
There seems in my opinion to be so much of "Me, me, me" lately that many people are pushy and rude for No reason.
Might I make a simple suggestion to set US apart? Next time there is a line and someone makes a bee line to try to get ahead of you even though they shouldn't, step back, smile and let them. Next time someone signals that they want over in the traffic even though they went way ahead of the line in the lane that clearly told them miles back their lane would not be there, let them in front of you and next time someone needs help, holding something, getting a cart or just something simple that might take a few minutes out of your day, please help them.
This proves that YOU know the Golden Rule and are willing to put them ahead of yourself. They may think they won but really, YOU are the winner because you were kind enough to think of others instead of always thinking of yourself. If more people thought this way, the world would indeed be a better place and years ago when I was a little girl this was what I learned in Grade school and Sunday school. Remember how your Mother and everyone els's Mother said "now is that the golden rule?" I wish we had all remembered what we learned. I am at fault as much as the next person but I think that we quilters can show the world what a nice group of people can do. Just my two cents for the day. :0) Bless your day and your deeds.

8 comments:

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

It must be in the air. I wrote a long post yesterday which I have not posted exactly about this... I really went on my soapbox... You were much kinder and gentler...;-) Thanks for saying it. A lovely post!

WoolenSails said...

I taught my kids, but they don't keep it;)
My daughter started the me stage at two and it never went away, lol. She is starting to do volunteer work, so there is hope for her.

Debbie

Patty ♣ said...

Have the Golden Rule poster in our classroom...

MB in MI said...

lovely post today--thankyou. it made me stop & think and feel better about things. :-)

Nedra said...

Amen! Thanks for a good reminder.

beth said...

We always need this reminder!

Mary said...

Thank you for this timely post! And, of course, you are so correct.
Treat others as you would want to be treated.

P said...

Don't get me going Mary Lou. Here in Ontario, Canada, we no longer start the day in the classroom with the Lord's Prayer, we don't do artwork to celebrate seasons such as Christmas and Easter. Our Churches are getting sparser as the older generations pass away. Not enough children attending church to have Sunday School as we remember it. Bingo, you are so right. Why can't the schools teach the kids to respect each other's religious orientations and share in the teaching of their beliefs. I bet the golden rule is the backbone of everyone's religious beliefs. AMEN!