Sunday, December 18, 2011

Delicious Maja Toffee Recipe from Linda Milligan (of Possibilities) last year-IT is WONDERFUL
















Linda Milligan December 20, 2010 at 2:25pm
Maja Toffee
Here it is Mary Lou,
It's called Maja Toffee-I'm not sure why.
2 cubes butter (I Use Land of Lakes slightly salted and then I don't add the pinch of salt)NOTE- a pound of butter comes in FOUR cubes in a package-this is what a cube means
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp Karo syrup
1 tbsp hot water
pinch of salt

Melt and stir (constantly) these ingredients together in a heavy pan. I use a wooden spoon, but I'm not sure if that is necessary or just me and my superstition. You also need to hold your tongue just right. ; )

Keep stirring until the mixture boils and starts to turn the color of brown sugar.(If the phone rings or someone wants you to do something for them do not answer them until you add the Hershey Bars--see below.) Take off heat and add 1 cup of diced almonds and stir quickly to mix. Dump mixture on cookie sheet that has been treated with Pam.

Spread as thin as possible. Lay 5 Hershey Bars on the top and spred as they melt. Sprinkle some more diced almonds on top or pulse some in a food processor to make finer crumbs. Let cool--usually overnight to allow the chocolate to harden correctly. Break into small pieces and enjoy!

Also, just so you know--if you give boxes of this away, you will be expected to every year for the rest of your life. ; )

2 comments:

Carol said...

sounds delicious! would the "2 cubes of butter" be two sticks totaling a half pound? I'm not sure a single "cube" is a quarter pound everywhere.

Vicki W said...

I know this is a stupid question but how much is a cube of butter?