Saturday, August 11, 2012

Getting Inspired by Little Things

When you get ready to make cats in a quilt as I did with this quilt from the Out of the Box with Easy Blocks book think about why a cat has to be brown, black or gray...isn't a cat better with color and prints? I sure think so.
Quick! Name three things that blessed you today! Now try to name seven more....
I think maybe this is true....
And we complain about carrying our machines to our workshops...am I right? And she is smiling too!
I am always inspired by different things I run into. Today Connie my neighbor and I were looking at a quilt made a couple of years ago by someone who had seen this I guess. It was pretty close. I am thinking myself that I would like to do an American flag bright colors and fun shapes different than this but this led me to think of new things. Pinterest does alot of this for me. :0) Can you think of a flag (American or not) that you might do some change on? This is what invention is all about.
Someone in my Hoity Toity Houses class in Florida started this quilt and I just loved how her nest looked with the colorful fabric and texture. FUN and is going to be a super quilt!
I was just taling about solids today and how they differ from prints...I think they show every little goof up and detail. I had someone send me this photo and I think it is very cool and so easy to do the hoochy method way too.
Speaking of solids, look at this painting...wouldn't it be cool in some small patterned prints? Very happy and whimsical and colorful too!
This map made me laugh because it is so silly. I got this from Facebook....
I loved this photo from my library because it looks like an Edwina Hughes piece..she has inspired many of us with her wonderful style
This quilt is by Roxanne- Roxanne has one of the BEST quilt shops in the world...go to Carpenteria and you can spend a day there! Ask anyone. Great people, great fabric and great fun and she inspires you with her ideas too! And finally here is a gift to you to listen to and be blessed. It is so true and a nice thing to listen to before you go to bed.... http://www.wimp.com/simplegratitude/

7 comments:

Thearica said...

I am in search of as many whimsical prints as I can find. I am slowly moving out of my anal traditional style and trying to rev up my quilting. I don't want to lose completely the traditional side of me that my grannies taught but I do want to broaden my horizons.

I agree, those cats are awesome!

DianeP said...

Oooh... so much inspiration today! Love the one about eating paste - sending that to my niece who is very creative!

The best one is the first one - we must always remember our blessings.

Do you know the Yankee pitcher Mariano Rivera? During an interview he was asked how he explained his longevity in the game. Mariano answered, "Always thanking God for his blessings."

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Wonderful post, Mary Lou!!!

:) Carolyn

Bev said...

Inspiring post, as usual! Thank you!

Cheery wave from Bev

WoolenSails said...

Lots of wonderful photos to inspire me today. Now if I could just get my body to cooperate, I could get up and do something, lol.

Debbie

Marlynne said...

You Kitty Cat Quilt is so cute! really like the little pointed border Looks like a tree branch with leaves! Hope you'll come visit my new blog preciouscottage.blogspot.com and my other one too-mcreatesdaily.blogspot.com

Lennis said...

I love your Kitty Cat quilt, but I am a dog person. How can I turn this design into dogs?? Thanks