Friday, May 13, 2011

BattleCreek Michigan puts out great FLOWERS and feels the power of Flower Power



Above is one of the ladies that lives at the airport (she is paper mache). The artist was wonderful and his stuff reminds me of mine in a way. Very fun!

I couldn't help myself with this little blurb I took from a poster at the church-really this is the BattleCreek Flower Power Hall of Fame! Those girls from Michigan know how to sew and have fun. My one regret is that I did not get a photo of my hostess and her friend when they picked me up at the airport in wild hats and clothes...I was busy looking at the artwork and forgot what was really important-sorry Pat!
-------------------------------
Below are the Flower Power Girls from BattleCreek Michigan. We had a lovely two day workshop and everyone said "we would like a third day!" There are so many possibilities and one day for this workshop is not enough. These make darling quilts and I have added many new ideas and patterns to what I started 6 years ago with hoochy flowers. This is my favorite piecing class because who doesn't love flowers, pots, birds, frogs, butterflies, bees and loads of other fun things?
BattleCreek provided many willing and fun participants. I was surprised to learn that not only is it home to Kelloggs but Post and Keebler too. I got a lovely recipe from Nancy for a cocoanut cake everyone said was fabulous. Stay tuned here and I am going to share it. The trees were all in bloom with many colors and tulips were everywhere. Lots of color and lots of buildings that would be great in story quilts. Many of the girls had super stories and I suggested they put them into a quilt so that in 80 years people would know something about them. Good advice for any quilter.
How about you?









I loved this wonderful t-shirt of Nancy's that had "Flower Power" all over it!






Spring flowers in front of the quilt shop in Marshall Michigan (I think it was Marshall)-if not it was Battle Creek

I used to do stained glass and I fell in love with this beautiful window done by the members of this church. The designer taught them how to do stained glass and look at the wonderful results. Just beautiful and the colors! Wonderful and inspiring.

Joyce's blocks as she got them done....

How sad is this? An Empty bottle tree in front of a quilt shop. Tsk, tsk. I have the bottles to fill it thanks to my friend in Oregon.

3 comments:

WoolenSails said...

The places you go and the art you see, are inspiration in themselves. I posted my new piece tonight, my first attempt at a memory quilt.

Debbie

Sandi said...

Great photos once again Mary Lou,
Thanks for all the updates.

Can't wait to see your Quilt Show in the LaConnor Museum later this month when I'm on vacation. Not to mention your upcoming retreat!

Quiltdivajulie said...

OH MY GOSH - I was born and grew up in Battle Creek and didn't leave until I married after college. My mom lived there until she was in her 80s ...