Thursday, January 15, 2009

Lincoln's Sunken Gardens-A Place I long to Visit Again when it is WARM



So, the sunken gardens are filled with beautiful art and scultures. I only made it to a beautiful domb and I took photos as there are zillions of ideas and inspirations here. Isn't this wonderful?
Sheila who is a docent at the International Quilt Study Center and Museum ( website is www.quiltstudy.org ) took me to the gardens because she knew I would appreciate the art there and I do! If you have some time and want to go and visit an interesting place, Lincoln should be on your list. Every quilter should visit the quilt study center and take at least a day or two or a week or two and use their fabulous research library. Lincoln is so lucky to have this fabulous building and the collection of rare quilts!



This is all sheet metal surved in the round for a domb over a lovely patterned floor. Each detail cut precisely....it is wonderful. Lincoln has cold wind but they have something we don't have here. They have the sunshine out most days and so though it is cold, it is beautiful and makes you giddy with the color of the sky, the fresh air, the beautiful light and the art available throughout the city. I loved it!

2 comments:

Sandi said...

What great pictures of the dome Mary Lou, is it made of leaded glass? How are the silhouettes made? What a lot of time and effort it must have taken.

Thanks for the different scale of pictures to give us a feeling of how large it must be.

Guess I'm going to have do a mid-west driving holiday again soon.

Sandi in New Westminster B.C.

Rhondi said...

Wow! That is an amazing dome! I haven't visited for awhile so I am having fun looking a tall the pictures you've posted.
Hugs, Rhondi