Thursday, November 29, 2012

Jammies for Jimmy's -Helping the Homeless-a GOOD deal for you and them

I just read an article about a policeman who bought clean socks and boots for a homeless man. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/29/larry-deprimo-nypd-cop-gives-homeless-boots_n_2209178.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl2%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D239442 This reminded me of a charity thing I have done for years now. I raise money during the year and at this time of year and buy pajamas for our local homeless mission here. The reason why is because when a homeless many goes there to spend the night, they must shower, change into pajamas before bed. Their clothing is taken and volunteers go in and wash, mend, fix or replace their clothing if need be. We had a minister friend who went in for a weekend sort of like a secret shopper to live among the homeless and then he did a series of lovely sermons on how they are just like us and how we could easily be homeless except for God's gifts to us. He also mentioned that they gave him mismatched pajamas that were too small and one of the pieces had a leopard skin print with tools on it. He said it was very humbling to have the homeless laugh when they saw him and how ridiculous he looked. I felt like it was a tap on my shoulder and I have gotten pajamas ever since at this time of year. I do not have that much money saved up this year and so I am offering this month to sell my story quilt book "Out of the Box" for $15. plus shipping to you. The book is normally $30. I pay half of that wholesale. I would love to be able to buy a good number of pj's for them as it is so cold and wet outdoors. I am thankful I do not have to live outside aren't you? By selling the book for half would be a good way for me to get more money for more pajamas. If you are interested in this book and doing story quilts (tell the world about YOU and who or what you love) you may order it through Marylouweidman.com It will say the charge is $29.99 plus shipping but really since I fill the orders, it will be $15. And please, if you know someone else who might like this book for half price in December, please tell them. That would mean more pj's and warm souls. Merry Christmas friends, If you have a warm house, food in your cupboards, a warm bed, give thanks for your many blessings. We are so very lucky, Love- Mary Lou NOTE- I WOULD HAPPLIY TAKE PAJAMAS-size large or Xlarge is what they need- sent to 1521. N Argonne #276, Spokane Valley,WA 99212-2555. God Bless you! Get some kleenex and watch this- the homeless are just like you and I but a little down on their luck... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/30/boot-buying-nypd-cop-larry-deprimo_n_2218650.html?utm_hp_ref=american-hero&icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D240092

2 comments:

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

What a wonderful thing to do.

Frog Quilter said...

I just ordered your book. Please make the reduction on price. Thanks.