Thursday, March 25, 2010

OK ONCE AGAIN, THE STORY ON HOW "HOOCHY" BLOCKS GOT THEIR NAME


So, I started a quilting meeting here on Thursday nights. Tonight two of my neighbors asked how the "Hoochy Mama" book got it's name. I started telling them and then got lost in the talk of value and fabrics. So, here it is again. About ten years ago, I took a train to a little town in Montana twelve hours by train. A whole story in itself. Once the class began and I showed the ladies how to do a block which I called "funky blocks" at that time, a little voice from the back of the class yelled (if her weak voice could be called yelling "hoochy mama!. The class had about 30 people in it so after three times of her saying this funny phrase, I went back to see who and why. The lady was in her 80's and darling. I said "are you a trouble maker Mabel?" And she said "honey, they made me quit smoking, I can't drink anymore, I am too old to dance at the tavern and I can't go out at night and carouse like I used to and these blocks are about as much as my heart can take."
So after that everyone laughed and when they made a block they said loudly "hoochy mama." So, my book which was being done then ended up being called "Hoochy Mama" blocks. It is much more fun than funky blocks and it is fun to say "Hoochy Mama" when you complete a block. People who are "in the box" do not like this but others who are free and fun do like it. I love it because it reminds me so much of the lady who homesteaded (from Holland) in Montana when she was a young girl. NOW, you all know the story and it isn't dirty and it isn't something that is to be ashamed of. It is fun and positive and happy. So, if you haven't tried the Hoochy Mama method of blocks or flowers, you should get the Hoochy Mama book or the Flower Power book or the Out of the Box book. They are all fun, positive and happy and you don't have to do perfect sewing to have a fabulous and happy quilt.



8 comments:

Barb said...

What a wonderful story. I always wondered how they got their name and am happy I now know. You never disappoint.

Joyce said...

I love your style and the bright colors you use.

Allie said...

I love the story and I love your books - hopefully someday I can take a class from you. Last Saturday, our local PBS station had quilting shows on all day, and I watched while I stitched. There was a program with Georgia Bonesteel, and guess who was her guest - YOU! You had your book "Quilted Memories" with you. It was an older show but it was so fun to see you!

Nancy-Jane said...

I loved the story. I also recognized some of your fabrics in your pictures as some that I have so I guess I am on the right track! ;)

Em said...

Mary Lou, I love your blocks and love them everytime I see them! I hope all is well with you and your travels, you are an amazing artist! Can hardly believe it is almost April! Take care and happy wonky quilting, Em

WoolenSails said...

That is such a cute story and what a sweet and feisty woman;)

Debbie

Kathy C said...

Mary Lou - your blocks are fabulous. Your use of color, scale, graphics ( . . . well everything!) is inspiring.

Kathy said...

Just got your "Out of the Box" in the mail this week and can not wait to read it!